Cocoa Date Energy Bites
When you have a ton of ingredients that might soon reach their best-before dates, what better way to use them in some energy bites?
This is one of my favourite recipes that I’ve ever created as all the sweetness comes directly from the dates, and the cocoa powder gives an extraordinary chocolate taste but the bitterness is not overpowering at all. This is also my first batch using my collagen powder from Neocell, a top-rated collagen brand and that I personally love.
If you don’t know what hydrolyzed collagen is, it is produced from the collagen found in the skin, bones and connective tissues of animals in the meat industry. Collagen in our own bodies is the main structural protein that keeps our skin elastic, our nails and hair from breaking, and our bones, tendons and ligaments strong. Supplemental collagen absorption is said to boost and maintain the health of all of these tissues, especially as we age and our bodies start to decrease the production of collagen. Hydrolyzed collagen also serves as a protein source.
Total time: 15-30 minutes
Makes 20-25 bites
- 2/3 – ¾ cup homemade date purÃ©e
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried coconut
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup milled flaxseed
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 scoops Neocell Super collagen
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl with a spoon or fork.
- Continue mixing with your hands to ensure consistency is achieved and then start rolling your bite-sized balls!
- If the consistency is too liquid, add more flaxseed and coconut. If the consistency is too dry, add more almond butter or date purée depending on preference.
- Note that collagen isn’t vegan as it is an animal by-product. To maintain a plant-based recipe, forego the collagen.
April 16, 2018 at 10:53 am
They look amazing! Thanks for sharing 🙂 I made cranberry muffins with cream cheese topping and they were fantastic. You can check them out here 🙂
January 7, 2020 at 9:51 am
Thanks so much, I’m going to have to check your muffin recipe out! I’d love to try it this summer 🙂