Fruit & Nut Granola Bars (feat. Bite Snack)
One of my favourite morning snacks has always been a simple granola bar. Sweet, chewy, nutty and salty are all combined flavours and textures that make for a delicious snack! This simple recipe will be leaving you wanting more!
This recipe can forego any baking or cooking, but I highly recommend roasting your oats, nuts and seeds before mixing. This really brings out the nutty flavours and oils, and adds so much dimensions to the taste of the bar.
After roasting, you want to add some protein and spices! In comes Bite Snacks’ cricket protein powder. I absolutely loved the combination of the maca, ashwagandha, cinnamon, spirulina and greens extracts with the nuts and dried fruits I used for these bars. The extra protein kick is yet another reason to throw in your Bite Snack Golden Greens!
Once all the dry ingredients are combined and mixed, it’ll be time to throw in your butters and sweeteners! The blend of peanut butter and almond butter, with some of Drizzle’s turmeric raw honey and gooseberry honey from Montana, was delicious! But you can make it any combination your heart desires.
Mix it all up and if it’s still a little dry, add more nut butter and/or honey to get it to all stick together!
Total time: 15-30 minutes
Makes 12 granola squares
- 1 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 nuts and/or seeds (I used half pumpkin seeds, half cashews)
- 1/2 tbsp Bite Snacks Golden Greens cricket protein powder
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries and raisins) or chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup nut butter (I used peanut and almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Roughly chop up any whole nuts you’re throwing in.
- On a baking sheet, spread out the oats, nuts and seeds. Roast them for 10-15 minutes at 350°F.
- In a glass bowl, add your nut butter(s), liquid sweetener, vanilla, salt and protein powder. Mix with a silicone spatula until well combined. If you need to heat the butter mixture up to make it runnier, pop it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Add your dry oats+nuts+seeds mix to the butter mixture and thoroughly mix.
- Throw in your dried fruit or chocolate and evenly distribute them into your granola bar mix.
- Take a flat, rectangular dish, and line it with saran wrap/parchment paper.
- Transfer your compact granola bar mix to the new dish and flatten it with the spatula.
- Wrap the mixture with the saran wrap/parchment paper and press down firmly until it’s uniformly flattened.
- Place your dish in the fridge and let it set for about an hour.
- Remove your dish from the fridge, lift it out and unwrap it to chop it evenly into the size and length you prefer.